Title: Honoring of Parents: The 5th Commandment
Text: Ex. 20:12
I. What are the Reasons to Honor Our Parents?
- Reality: The parallel of our parents to God.
- Respect: Submission to authority begins at home.
- Relationships: How I relate to my parents will affect every other relationship including God.
II. What are the Responses to Honor our Parents?
- Children primarily respond to their parents in honor by obeying them.
- Young People respond to honor their parents primarily by first accepting and then appreciating them.
- Acceptance of our parents is honoring them
- Appreciating your parents is honoring them
- Adults show their parents honor by affirming and not abandoning them in old age.
- Not Abandoning
III. What are the Rewards of Honoring our Parents?
- The reward of individual life
- The reward of community land